Half of my heart is in Havana

So I'm back giving this blogging thing a go. I gave up, before I'd even started really! For a variety of reasons that I won't bore you with but I've always been more into photographs than writing. However I've got to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day & this side of things will hopefully become easier for me - so bare with!

When I started flying for my airline, the place I wanted to go the most out of all our destinations, was Cuba. Its a country that seems so different to anywhere else with its culture, people and predominantly the politics which has created what we see now. I also really wanted to get here as soon as possible before it changes and modernises.

Chilling pool side

I was on a 4 night trip and it was such a nice chilled mini break. The weather was pretty hit & miss but the first day was good enough to just spend lounging round the pool with a few cocktails, obviously! If people are doing their own thing it can be hard to keep in touch, as wifi is pretty non existent in Cuba, so we all said we would meet every night in the hotel bar and go from there. One of our girls had a funny turn so we spent longer in the hotel than planned making sure she was ok (which she was) so didn't head out to eat till late. We went to one of my favourite tapas restaurants Lamparilla 361. I love the modern style tapas they do here as well as the amazing & most importantly huge cocktails! I always get lobster when I'm in Cuba as it's pretty much the only place I can afford it & it tastes so good! Add in some meat croquettes, the chilli crab & definitely the shredded beef and it's food coma all the way!



The next day the weather was awful, so what other option did we have but to go on a bar crawl?! Started the day off right with a boozy breakfast in the hotel, then pretty much the whole crew headed out together to wander through the streets and drink our way round Havana! It's crazy that you can get the freshest, best tasting mojitos here for equivalent of £1.50, just make sure you head away from the tourist spots or you'll be paying triple this price!

Moody skies over the El Capitolio building
The last full day was spent with a couple of the girls, hiring one of the vintage cars for an hour or so to take in some of the sights round Havana. I love doing this, obviously to see main tourist bits but just to get to cruise round all the streets and see the locals going about daily life. It's also a really inexpensive way to get around in style & if your like me its a great way to get great photographs. However, make sure unlike me you actually remember to take a picture of yourself in the gorgeous car.. rookie error!

Street views of El Capitolio
Kids playing on the street
























As the song goes half my heart is definitely here, I just love it & can't wait to come back. Next stop... Vegas!

Comments

Popular Posts